Orange County Craigslist Rental Scam – If you’re searching classified websites like the Orange County Craigslist for home rentals, you need to be cautious so that you don’t get duped by a rental scam posted by a con artist offering a deal that is just too good to be true.
Often times, these scammers will run a fake ad posted on local classified websites such as Craigslist. The con artist may even copy ads and photos from other real estate sites, change the ads a little bit, and then post them on Craigslist. They may even use the real estate listing agent’s actual name to create a false e-mail address to give the advertisement more credibility and realism.
In one common rental scam, when a potential renter inquires about the home listed on the classifieds site for rent, they will be sent back an e-mail from the scammer saying that he is the homeowner, but that he is currently out of the country and wants to have the home rented while they are away. It’s common for this supposed landlord to say that he and his wife are in Africa doing missionary work and that they are unable to show the home themselves. If the renter is interested in renting this home, the con artist will ask them to send deposit money to him in Africa. The victim will end up losing all the money that they send out of the country.
Here are some tips on how to avoid losing your money in this type of rental scam:
- Beware, if you find a rental home on the Orange County Craigslist rental section and the rent is so low that it looks too good to be true, then it’s probably not true.
- Con artists that advertise on sites like Craigslist will often times ask for a deposit amount that is larger than legally permitted. Check online as to how much deposit a landlord can legally require for your area.
- Ask for a rental application. If they don’t have one or don’t require one, that’s a serious red flag.
- Go to the website for the Orange County Recorder’s Office and search for who actually owns that property.
- Don’t ever give or send money to someone that you do not know without first verifying that they are the true owners of the property.
While the Orange County Craigslist is a great place to start your search for a home rental, be alert for possible rental scams. By far, the best way to avoid a house rental scam is to work with a licensed real estate agent who is familiar with rental property in your area. Our leasing agents will save you time and money by focusing in on the best rental homes that fit your search criteria and your budget. Our services are free to renters as the commissions are paid by the landlords.
When you find some rental homes listed on Craigslist or on our site that you would like to preview, contact us. We can make all the arrangements for you to see the Orange County rental homes of your choice. We will assist you in finding the perfect home and make the process easier and safer than calling all the ads in Orange County Craigslist and other internet classified sites by yourself.